Growth & Jobs
Every dollar invested in the National Gateway will create jobs and help grow the nation’s economy.
- More than 50,000 jobs will be created over a 30 year period.
- Almost 10,000 jobs will be created during the initial construction phase, which is already underway!
- One half of the jobs created will be located in 14 economically distressed areas -- places hit especially hard by the recession.
The National Gateway will create thousands of jobs during its construction phase as a result of the work needed to raise bridges, increase tunnel clearances, and build new terminals along existing rail corridors, as well as long-term jobs that will be required to support and maintain the movement of double stacked containers on rail cars and intermodal transfers at new facilities.
Additionally, the National Gateway will help increase traffic at our nation’s ports and stimulate economic activity in America’s port cities.
The National Gateway will:
- Increase port capacity. Our nation’s ability to distribute goods makes us more competitive in the global economy.
- Develop larger, rail-served, inland distribution centers that will encourage more efficient movement of goods and will free more capacity at ports.
- Permit increased volume and speed of inland heavy freight, allowing inland distribution points to expand into larger, national service hubs, promoting economic growth.